Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Immune Boosting Foods

I've started being more conscious about the foods I'm eating, and trying to eat things that will strengthen my immune system and keep me healthy. I found that there are specific vitamins and minerals that are particularly useful immune boosters. These include, vitamin E, Beta-Carotene vitamin C, Omega-3 fatty acids, and Zinc. All of these foods help increase your number of white bloods cells which, as I learned last week, are your body's main defense against the common cold. In order to obtain a good amount of foods, I eat a wide variety of types and colors of foods. Green tea, oysters, red bell peppers, fish, yogurt, pumpkin, oregano, broccoli, garlic, and tomatoes are just a few foods that are great for your body. 
The main thing to look for is a variety of colors in your foods. This doesn't mean get different flavored popsicles or taffy. It has to be the natural occurring color. Assorted berries are one of the best things to eat because their rich colors mean rich antioxidants and nutrients. Cooks in Asia often add ingredients to their dishes strictly for the color. Although they do it for beauty, we should practice the same habit for our immune system health!

No comments:

Post a Comment